Client: Kentucky Community and Technical College System
With 16 colleges and nearly 70 campuses across Kentucky, KCTCS brings first-rate education to every corner of the state. KCTCS currently serves more than 80,000 students, making it the largest post-secondary education institution in Kentucky. It’s easy to move from one college to another, and many courses are offered in the evening or online.
In 2002, the CIO and IT Department for the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) were searching for a primary, experienced IT vendor to provide a unique and integrated solution for their diverse IP Telephony needs. Those services included complete design, plan, install and ongoing management of a VoIP IP Telephony solution for every College.
KCTCS understood the direction of the telecommunications industry, moving from PBX analog phones to the IP-based phones that use the Internet for making phone calls and much more. They believed that the managed service was the right approach to support their communications system.
Their goal was to install an innovative phone system that included Quality of Service (QoS), and the ability to integrate voice, video and data at some point in the future. They aimed at reducing long-distance charges by placing all colleges on one network so that calls across the state would be local extensions. They also wanted this solution to be billed using a utility-based model where they would be charged on a monthly basis for each phone. This allowed KCTCS the option of reducing or eliminating upfront capital costs, and gave them the ability to determine the price, based on the number of phones installed and managed.
CBTS developed a state-wide solution that included hardware procurement of Cisco equipment and Managed Services that include:
- Design, Installation, Training, Monitoring and Management of Cisco IP Phones
- Call Manager, Unity Messaging and Voice-Mail
- Transitioned schools from T-1 circuits to the KPEN statewide network
- Call Centers for Office Efficiency
- Emergency Notification Service for Student Safety
- Updated Dial-Plan Improvements
Additionally, CBTS manages the data networks at all 16 colleges. All core equipment is housed off-site in an Enterprise Level secure data center.
- Strategic Design and Planning
- Voice, Video and Data solutions using Voice Over IP
- Complete Installation and Onsite Training
- Remote Network Monitoring and Management
- Project Management and Quality Assurance
- Related Projects in Addition to the IP Phones
- Call Center Management
- VPN Client Services
- Call Detail Reporting
- Virtual Servers from Virtual Data Center (VDC)
- Cisco Emergency Responder
CBTS used a best-in-class approach to help KCTCS fully implement a comprehensive strategic solution for current and future IP Telephony requirements. The size of the installation (7,500+ users) also presented CBTS the opportunity to develop and implement cost reduction methods, while increasing quality standards at KCTCS.